Fit-PC4: Installing Linux Mint 17
Modified on: Fri, 23 Oct, 2015 at 11:49 AM
Prepare installation media
Base installation of Linux Mint
- Follow the standard Linux Mint installation procedure - choose timezone, partitions, username, password etc.
- Disconnect the installation media and reboot.
- Login using previously selected username and password.
ATI Catalyst video driver
- fglrx is a proprietary ATI Catalyst video driver that provides XvBA (X-video Bitstream Acceleration) support.
- Install fglrx driver and other required utilities with the command below:
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates xvba-va-driver vainfo
- Note: system reboot is required after the installation of the fglrx driver.
XBMC and VLC
- XBMC and VLC are well known free and open-source multimedia players
- Both of them use GPU accelerated video decoding and give exellent playback quality
- Both of them compatible with the most popular video formats
sudo apt-get install xbmc vlc
- XBMC will support GPU accelerated video decoding out of the box
- In VLC you need to check Tools->Preferences->Input and Codecs->Use GPU accelerated decoding checkbox to take advantage of GPU accelerated video decoding
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.